Source Protection Zone delineation provides an assessment of the land area that contributes groundwater to a borehole or spring.
- Source reports have been undertaken by Geological Survey Ireland on behalf of Local Authorities since the mid 1990's. Since then, more than 120 have been completed.
- A further 40 were completed by a CDM/TOBIN/OCM project team for the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to establish Groundwater Source Protection Zones (SPZs) at monitoring points in the EPA's National Groundwater Quality Network. These SPZs represent a continuation of GSI's work, and follow the principles and methodologies set out in 'Groundwater Protection Schemes' (DELG/EPA/GSI, 1999) and in the GSI/EPA/IGI Training course on Groundwater Source Protection Zone Delineation (2007, 2009).
- Other reports commissioned by Local Authorities from hydrogeological consultants are available from the relevant Local Authorities.
The available reports are listed below in alphabetic order for each county.
- GWS stands for Group Water Scheme
- N/A indicates Not Available
- PWS stands for Public Water Supply
- RWSS stand for Regional Water Supply Scheme
- SPZ stands for Source Protection Zone
Should you have any query in relation to these reports, please email firstname.lastname@example.org .