Aims of the groundwater resources assessment
- Develop an initial hydrogeological conceptual model for each catchment.
- Using surface water catchments to access groundwater resources as internationally recognised management unit and have calibration point for all of the water in catchment.
- Provide a basis for prioritising further investigation into groundwater resources in the east of Ireland.
- Identify existing information which was not available for this report which would be useful for further analysis.
- Identify information gaps which could be addressed by the GSI's Groundwater section by carrying out fieldwork.
- Examine all relevant and available regional scale mapping and data to develop a conceptual understanding of the groundwater resources within the catchment.
- Use relevant site specific monitoring data.
- Use the conceptual understanding to divide the catchment into different hydrogeological zones.
- Use results of assessment to prioritise areas for further investigations into the development of future groundwater resources and identify potential constraints.