In 2021 GSI launched a funding call for small scale research equipment (from €5,000 to €25,000). Funds could be used to purchase new equipment or to upgrade existing facilities.
Funding was awarded in late 2021 and the installations were completed by late 2022. Awards included:
- Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrometer for the characterisation of geologic and environmentally-relevant materials and rocks
- Polishing system for laser ablation ICP-MS and SEM samples (pucks/mounts)
- The Irish Cosmogenic Nuclide Facility (ICNF): Growing Ireland’s capacity for cutting-edge cosmogenic nuclide geochronology
- Raising capability to determine the carbonate chemistry of Aquatic systems
- Pb-210 alpha counter
- The first dedicated visualisation workstation for ‘virtual geoscience’ in Ireland
- Enhancement of Environmental Geoscience Lab
- Expansion of ICARUS Palaeo Research laboratory
You can find more information on each item and details on how to access the equipment here.