Seán Canney TD was appointed Minister of State for Rural Affairs and Natural Resources on 16 October 2018.
Seán was elected to Dáil Éireann as an Independent TD for Galway East in 2016 and had served as Minister of State for OPW and Flood Relief from May 2016 before his latest appointment. He had previously been a member of Galway County Council for a number of terms where he held various positions including Mayor of County Galway (2007-2008).
Seán is a Chartered Quantity Surveyor and lectured at GMIT prior to his election to Dáil Eireann.
The role of the Minister of State's Office is:
- to liaise between the Minister of State and the Department
- to brief the Minister of State on all aspects and developments pertaining to matters under his remit
- to acknowledge written representations from members of the Oireachtas, other public sector representatives and members of the public
- to forward representations to the appropriate Division, Department or semi-State body for reply
- to request pairings and liaise with the Chief Whip's Office with regards to Dail business
- to request speech material for the Minister of State's public engagements
- to liaise with the Department's Press Officer with regards to speeches and press releases
- to organise the Minister of State's national and international travel arrangements
- to answer telephone queries from members of the Oireachtas and the public