Born in Drum, County Roscommon, Minister Naughten was educated at Ardkeenan NS; St. Aloysius College, Athlone; University College Dublin and University College Cork where he did a research project in Food Microbiology.
A scientist by profession, Minister Naughten was first elected to Dáil Éireann in 1997. Minister Naughten had previously been elected to Seanad Éireann in a bye-election on the Agricultural Panel in January 1997 and became the youngest ever member of the Seanad.
The role of the Minister's Office is to:
- to liaise between the Minister and the Department
- to provide administrative services for the Minister
- to liaise with the Chief Whip's Office on Dáil business
- to organise briefings, speeches and press releases for the Minister
- to deal with correspondence and queries from Members of the Oireachtas, members of the public, public representatives, foreign embassies and other organisations
- to co-ordinate and organise the Minister's appointments, diary functions and travel arrangements