Calling all photographers! Why not head out into the outdoors and snap some geological landscapes in your area, then enter the annual geological photo competition run by Geological Survey Ireland in conjunction with the Irish Geological Association (IGA) – the Du Noyer Photographic Competition.
This year, the competition has a total prize fund of €1,000 and it accepts images of geological interest taken either in Ireland or overseas. The competition's closing date is Friday, August 26, so get snapping...! The lucky winners will be notified by e-mail.
Prizes will be awarded as follows
| 1st prize||€500|||||||
| 3rd prize||€100|||||||
|Overseas Category |||||||
| 1st prize||€200|||||||
How to enter
- Entries can only be accepted as JPEG/JPG file attachments sent by e-mail to: DuNoyer.firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Entries will be accepted until 11:59pm on Friday, August 26, 2022.
- There is no application fee to enter.
- You may submit a maximum of 4 images, illustrating any aspect of field geology or scenic geological landscapes.
- Please include the following information for each image:
- Name and postal address;
- Short description of geological content;
- Place and date when taken (please supply a geographic location or grid reference of location where your photo was captured).
- Images should be landscape orientation as we create a calendar using some of these images.
- Use the highest possible image resolution to a maximum size of 15MB.
- No people in the photographs please.
- It is up to each entrant to ensure that images are their own work and previously unpublished.
- Current staff/employees of Geological Survey Ireland are not eligible to participate in this competition.
- Please abide by all Covid-19 guidelines for 2022.
The competition will be judged by a panel including representatives of Geological Survey Ireland and external nominees and their decision will be final. Winning entries to be notified, entries will be exhibited, and prizes awarded by further notice.
Geological Survey Ireland reserves the right to reproduce entries in its publications and promotional activities with due acknowledgement.
- Creativity (25 marks)
- Technical Skill of the Photographer (25 marks)
- Geological Content of Photograph (50 marks)