Central Technical Services
Central Technical Services provides a wide range of technical services across the Geological Survey and also to other sections within the Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources. CTS supports the various projects and programmes of various mapping sections. CTS ensure that our staff carrying out fieldwork are supplied with facilities, equipment and ongoing back-up as required. This can only be achieved by the flexibility of highly qualified technical staff and the co-operation with heads of sections.
In particular the services provided by Central Technical Services encompass:
1. Drilling Services - to support mapping for the quaternary, bedrock and groundwater programmes
2. Transport - the purchase, upkeep and maintenance of vehicles to support field mapping staff, sample collection, and transportation of equipment
3. Core Store - the collection on offer from the Mining industry and from GSI's own drilling programmes is located at GSI's store core at Sandyford Core Library. The listing of core holdings can be downloaded from here (3MB).
4. Lecture Theatre - the management of this important resource for both GSI and outside organisations
5. Laboratories and Technical Stores - the preparation of samples for mineral separation and chemical analysis, the production of micro thin sections, the calibration of equipment, the purchase of consumables for laboratories and field operations
|| A two man crew operate a Dando Geotech 7.5 Rig for Flight Auger Drilling in overburden investigation, which in suitable conditions can reach a depth of 30m.|
A Boart Longyear LF 90D rotary rig is used for deep drilling up to 1000m.
For any information regarding Central Technical Services contact Tom McIntyre by telephone at 01 – 6782883 or by e-mail.